Parks Maintenance Technician I - II - III
Company: Government jobs
Location: Texas City
Posted on: January 27, 2023
PARKS MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN I SALARY RANGE - If hired as PARKS
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN I
$31,256.58 - $45,322.16 /Annually
$15.02 - $21.78 / Hourly
PARKS MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN II SALARY RANGE - If hired as PARKS
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN II
$33,288.94 - $48,268.69 /Annually
$16.00 - $23.20 / Hourly
PARKS MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN III SALARY RANGE - If hired as PARKS
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN III
$35,165.31 - $51,692.37 /Annually
$16.90 - $24.85 / Hourly
WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an
opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others.
It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one
of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our
community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America."
Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to
making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a
family. That's why we exist.
OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace.
However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are
guided by four employee-inspired values - Respect, Integrity,
Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by
servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy,
family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace
and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our
exceptional work environment as a high performance
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Under direct supervision of the Parks Supervisor, the purpose of
this position is to maintain City parks, grounds, facilities, and
amenities. Work is primarily performed at/on parks and athletic
fields in upkeep and maintenance of City Property. Employees
perform manual level work and possess dexterity and manipulative
ability, utilize a variety of hand tools and equipment in the
performance of tasks, and usually work in adverse environmental
conditions. Performs related work as required.
Depending on the applicant's experience, licenses, and skills, the
position can be filled at Level I, Level II, or Level III
Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of
making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family,
we hold these expectations for all employees.
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department,
and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work
performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit
or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to
demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of
internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable,
encourage subordinates to do the same.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
When assigned to Parks Maintenance Technician I
- Performs a variety of general duties related to the
maintenance, upkeep, construction, installation, and repair of City
parks, grounds, trails, athletic fields, recreation facilities,
buildings, and other City-owned landscaped areas.
- Operates simple to moderately complex equipment in the
construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of
City parks, street trees, street median landscaping, buildings and
- Performs grounds maintenance i.e. mowing, weed-eating, edging,
blowing, pruning, planting, trimming and sodding.
- Performs regular and preventative maintenance on assigned
- Cleans, clears and disposes of debris and refuse in trash bins
and in the landscape from City and municipal properties.
- Assists in preparations for, and clean-up during and after,
- Performs maintenance, minor repairs and adjustments to
- Assists with minor plumbing and irrigation work as needed.
When Assigned to Parks Maintenance Technician II
- Duties of Level I carry over, in addition to:
- Assists in complex irrigation maintenance and repairs.
- Performs minor plumbing and irrigation work as needed.
- Performs regular and preventative maintenance and minor repairs
- Operates and maintains complex equipment including large
mowers, tractors, backhoes, skid steers, dump trucks, bucket trucks
and aerial lifts.
When assigned to Parks Maintenance Technician III
- Duties of Level I & II carry over, in addition to:
- Installs, schedules, and assists in complex irrigation
maintenance and repairs, and performs system checks.
- Operates equipment in the maintenance of athletic fields.
- Performs painting, cleaning, maintenance and repair on
municipal property, play structures, buildings and pools.
- Applies fertilizers and herbicides using manual and small
- Performs minor plumbing repairs.
- Performs concrete installations.
- Assists with bulb replacement and minor electrical work under
supervision of a Parks Maintenance Specialist and/or
- Operates chainsaws and stump grinders in the maintenance and
removal of trees and bushes.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of
Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors,
subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality,
quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if
applicable, that of subordinates.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Meet the City's driving standards.
- Requires the ability to exchange information for the purpose of
obtaining information or clarifying details. Performs such within
well-established policies, procedures, and standards.
- Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the
actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials. Requires
the ability to perform coordinated movements involving placing and
turning motions, such as operating a tractor, dump truck, welding
equipment, chain saw, edger, weed eater, and mower.
- Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference
data and information, such as equipment manuals and City policy
- Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction,
multiplication, and division.
- Requires ability to carry out instructions furnished in
written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
- Requires the ability to exercise the judgment required in
situations characterized by repetitive or short cycle operations
covered by set procedures or sequences. Required Qualifications
The minimum qualifications vary between Levels I, II, & III. Please
consult with the hiring manager to review your qualifications.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency
levels in the above Minimum Qualifications may be an acceptable
substitute for the above specified education and experience
The preferred qualifications vary between Levels I, II, & III.
Please consult with the hiring manager to review your
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- Must have Class C Texas Driver's License.
- Ability to obtain Pesticide Applicator's License within 6
months of hire.
- Must be available for rotating schedules that will include
weekends and evenings. Physical Demands/Supplemental
Tasks involve the ability to exert heavy physical effort in heavy
work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but
typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling,
crouching, and crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or
pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds);
may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (up to 100
pounds). Some tasks require visual and odor perception and
Tasks may risk exposure to extreme cold/heat or extreme weather
conditions, strong odors or smoke, dust or pollen, and toxic
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work
being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They
are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position.
Employees holding this position will be required to perform any
other job-related duties as requested by management. The job
description does not constitute an employment agreement between the
employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible
modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing
equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender,
religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status,
disability or any other legally protected status.
The City offers a full complement of benefits:
Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life and
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Long Term Disability
Insurance, Legal Services, Flexible Spending Medical and Child
Care, Employee Assistance Program, Supplemental Insurance; Paid
Vacation and Sick Leave, Nine Paid Holidays. Texas Municipal
Retirement System (TMRS) mandatory 7% employee contribution with
City match of 2:1; 457 Deferred Compensation Plans; Tuition
For more detailed information, please see the City of McKinney's
summary of benefits by clicking on the link below:
Keywords: Government jobs, Texas City , Parks Maintenance Technician I - II - III, Professions , Texas City, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!