Company: Thompson Construction
Location: Texas City
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Division:Thompson Construction Group City:Texas City
Basic Scope/Purpose: Lay out, fit, and weld fabricated, cast,
and forged components to assemble structural forms.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lay out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior
- Examine work pieces for defects and measure work pieces to
ensure conformance with specifications.
- Weld together metal components of products such as piping
systems, plate, pipe and tube or structural shapes, as specified by
layout, blueprints, diagram, work order, welding procedures, or
oral instructions, using electric arc-welding equipment.
- Obtain specified electrode and inserts electrode into portable
holder or threads consumable electrode wire through portable
- Connect cables and adjust welding unit to obtain amperage,
voltage, polarity, and pulse, as specified by welding procedure or
- Start power supply to produce electric current.
- Strike (form) arc which generates heat to melt and deposit
metal from electrode to work piece and join edges of work
- Manually guide electrode or gun along weld-line, maintaining
length of arc and speed of movement to form specified depth of
fusion and bead, as judged from color of metal, sound of weld, and
size of molten puddle.
- Weld in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Examine weld for bead size and other specifications.
- May manually apply filler rod to supply weld metal.
- May clean or degrease weld joint or workplace, using wire
brush, portable grinder, or chemical bath. May repair broken or
cracked parts and fill holes.
- May prepare broken parts for welding by grooving or scarfing
- May remove excess weld, defective weld material, slag, and
spatter, using carbon arc gouge, hand scraper, grinder or power
- May preheat work piece, using hand torch or heating
- May position and clamp work piece together or assemble then in
a jig or fixture.
- May tack weld assemblies together.
- May cut metal plates or structural shapes.
- May fit up parts (pipe, tube, structural shapes, or plate) and
inspect fit before welding.
- May be required to use Gas-Metal Arc, Flux-Cored Arc,
Gas-Tungsten Arc, Submerged Arc, or Shielded-Metal Arc welding
- Respiratory protection is common and may be required.
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Tool List:
- Must have own TIG Rig and Stinger
- 1 each 12" Crescent Wench
- 1 each Stinger (whip) for Stick Welding
- 1 each Tig Rig w/Hose and Gauges
- 1 each 25' Tape Measure
- 1 set Burning Goggles
- 1 each Chipping Hammer
- 1 set Brushes
- 1 pair Welding Gloves
- 1 pair Leathers (optional)
- 1 each Welding Hood and Lens (Must be attached to hard hat or
will attach to hard hat) *No Soft Cap Hoods
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to TIG and stick weld on stainless and/or carbon
(pipe size and material welded varies per site).
- Must pass required weld tests (varies per site).
- Must be willing to work outside craft.
- Workers are surrounded by hot materials and strong light.
- Must wear safety gear, including protective goggles, masks,
face shields and safety shoes.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate clearly with
supervisor/co-workers and understand direction from
- Utilize basic math and a calculator to solve geometric problems
associated with Instrument Fitting.
- May be required to work outside and be subject to severe
weather as well.
- Employee must be able to climb, bend, twist, stand and reach
repetitively, operate moving equipment and work in
- Candidate may be required to pass a drug test and criminal
background check based on job location/requirements.
Keywords: Thompson Construction, Texas City , Pipe Welder, Other , Texas City, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!