The position provides administrative support to unit supervisor
and staff. The position interacts routinely with Texas Department
of Family and Protective Services staff and the general public.
To learn more about the agency, please click here.
WHY WORK FOR DFPS?
The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) is
responsible for protecting the unprotected - children, elderly, and
people with disabilities - from abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
DFPS accomplishes this responsibility by employing over 12,000
workers who live up to the agency's Mission, Vision, & Values in
service to the 27 million citizens of Texas.
DFPS is not only a qualifying organization for the Service Loan
Forgiveness Program, which forgives the remaining balance on
college student Direct Loans after making 120 qualifying monthly
payments, but also offers excellent health benefits, special
discounts on many products and services through the Discount
Purchase Program, a lifetime monthly retirement annuity as well as
Texa$aver 401(k) and 457 Programs under the Employees Retirement
System of Texas. An additional benefit you will receive is 12 days
of paid annual leave, 12 sick days, and the potential to earn up to
four days of administrative leave each year. Your annual paid leave
accrual increases as your tenure increases.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs data entry into IMPACT and other electronic programs
- Answers and screens telephone inquiries; takes and routes
messages and records intake information for referral to
- Prepares and maintains statistical reports, leave and personnel
records, case control systems, case records and related files for
the unit. Functions as the unit timekeeper and will process
purchase orders as directed.
- Types correspondence, forms narratives, travel vouchers,
meeting notes, performance evaluations, and other documents to
support work of the unit and files related documents.
- Provides program and agency information and/or makes referrals
to other community resources.
- Greets visitors, responds to general questions, and directs
callers to proper location.
- Performs other duties as assigned and required to maintain unit
- Promotes and demonstrates appropriate respect for cultural
diversity among coworkers and all work-related contacts.
- Attends work regularly in accordance with agency leave
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
- Knowledge of computers.
- Skill in using Microsoft Works or Windows environment.
- Skill in working in an office supporting several staff
- Ability to effectively handle multiple assignments in a dynamic
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Initial Selection Criteria:
- Graduation from high school or equivalent
- One year full-time administrative support, general office,
clerical, secretarial or Texas Department of Family and Protective
- Thirty semester hours from an accredited college or university
may be substituted on a year for year basis for the required
Factors such as education and experience may be considered when
establishing the starting salary for employees coming from other
state agencies within Texas.
Interview Requirements: Any candidate who is called to an agency
for an interview must notify the interviewing agency in writing of
any reasonable accommodation needed prior to the date of the
Note: Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial
selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for
this position may include: 42A, YN, 0111, 3A1X1. For more
information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation
with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA),
HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the
hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a
disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line
application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at
1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need
accommodation to participate in the interview process, please
notify the person scheduling the interview.